Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Spunky Seniors

Ruby is my grandmother's best friend. She just celebrated her 90th birthday. Ruby is truly amazing... she doesn't look her age, and she certainly doesn't act it. Besides living alone and doing all of her own yard work, Ruby sews, cooks, and she just renewed her driver's license! Ruby works two days per week for Gladys, another lady who is in my grandmother's Sunday School class (and dominoes - or "Chicken Foot" - circle). Gladys is probably 85. Ruby cooks and cleans for Gladys, and she drives her to her physical therapy appointments and runs other errands for her. Did I mention that Ruby is amazing?!

Ruby's birthday was February 11th. Her family celebrated over the weekend with dinners, flowers, balloons, breakfasts, gifts and more. My mother and I wanted to do something special for Ruby to celebrate her birthday. She is such a blessing to my Mam-ma. They visit every day - in person and by phone. Ruby takes Mam-ma with her to the store and to church on Sundays.
In fact, Ruby drives my grandmother a lot of places and does countless things for her every single day. She is a jewel.

While we were having lunch, Ruby told about a "Chicken Foot" party that another friend, Geneva, hosted for all of the ladies on Saturday. Ruby said, "I picked up some of the others and drove them to Geneva's. There were five of us in the car, and I was the only one who didn't have a walker!" We asked what she did with the walkers, and she said, "I folded them up and put them in my trunk!" Did I mention that Ruby is 90?! My mom said "I'm not nearly that old, and it frustrates me to have to worry with just your grandmother's walker! I can't imagine finagling with FOUR of them!"

While we were eating, Ruby said repeatedly that she had enjoyed a wonderful birthday - and an abundance of celebration. She said, "I may never get to have another birthday... you never know... but I hope so." We hope so, too, Ruby... we hope so, too!

No comments: